Dia de los Muertos Self-Guided Community Ofrenda Tour
*The event has already taken place on this date: Sun, 11/08/2020
Please help us keep this calendar up to date! If this activity is sold out, canceled, or otherwise needs alteration, email email@example.com so we can update it immediately.
The c/s Initiative's Community Ofrenda Tour showcases the real culture and meaning of Dia de los Muertos through 10 art ofrendas or altars created by people of color (POC) artists, collectives and groups in independently owned POC businesses in our neighborhoods. A virtual ofrenda will be included on the website that includes pictures and short written pieces by community members that honor those in the spirit world.
Our goals are to:
- Reclaim Dia de los Muertos as a cultural practice that connects us to our queridos difuntos (departed loveones).
- Create exposure for the participating artists (bios, links to websites, and other information will be listed) by giving them visibility outside of the traditional art world.
- Encourage people to support the local people of color (POC) owned businesses in the community who create jobs and contribute to the economic health of neighborhoods.
Self-Guided Ofrenda Locations:
- And Everything Nice y Mas - 208 N. Main St. (Duncanville)
- CocoAndre Chocolatier & Horchateria - 508 W. 7th St. (Dallas/Bishop Arts)
- El Padrino - 408 W. Jefferson (Dallas/Oak Cliff)
- El Padrino - 1215 S. Buckner Blvd. (Dallas/Pleasant Grove)
- Latino Cultural Center - 2600 Live Oak (Dallas/East Dallas)
- Locura - 839 Singleton Blvd. (Dallas/West Dallas)
- Maroches Bakery - 1227 W. Davis (Dallas/Oak Cliff)
- MLC Insurance Group - 10339 Ferguson (Dallas/East Dallas)
- Oak Cliff Cultural Center - 223 W. Jefferson Blvd. (Dallas/Oak Cliff)
- Pleasant Grove Library - 7310 Lake June Blvd. (Dallas/Pleasant Grove)
*Times, dates, and prices of any activity posted to our calendars are subject to change. Please be sure to click through directly to the organization’s website to verify.